Congratulations – the new Historic Triangle Rotary Club was officially chartered on July 4, 2007. This new club meets at noon on Wednesdays at the Colonial Heritage clubhouse. Go by and visit them if you are in the area at that time – or if you need a makeup meeting. Lunch costs $15.00 and is always good. The meeting starts promptly at 12:00 noon and is always over by 1:00. They currently have about 27 members and there are always a few Williamsburg, James City or District Rotarians in attendance as well. Their target geographical area encompasses Norge, Lightfoot, Stonehouse, Greensprings, Toano, Upper York, and New Kent
They received the official charter at their regular meeting on August 1, 2007, presented by District Governor Jim Pierce and attended by Past District Governors Jim Probsdorfer, Ted Kirby and Jerry Fields. See photos at: http://www.rotary7600.org/home.cfm
The Historic Triangle members have put together a sustainable club with a varied group of individuals – both active and retired professionals. In fact, several of the retired members are former presidents of their home rotary clubs, including their first president, Jack Hostetter (email@example.com). All are excited about Rotary in the Historic Triangle area. They now have a website: https://www.historictrianglerotary.org
Support and initial guidance for the new club were provided by both the Williamsburg and James City clubs along with many District 7600 representatives.
Among those from our club visiting, guiding, presiding over and addressing initial meetings:
- Jon Nystrom – President 2006-2007 and Committee chair
- Jack Mustard– President 2007-2008
- Bill Kaufmann – Committee Member
- Bob Tubbs – Committee Member
- Don Darnton – Committee Member
- Sam Lazarus – Committee Member
- Mark Anderson – Committee Member
- Bob Spencer– Committee Member
- And numerous others who have provided support in other ways.
From District 7600
- Jim Probsdorfer – District Governor 2006-2007
- Jim Pierce – District Governor 2007-2008
- Ted Kirby – Bon Air Club, Past District Governor and Chair of New Club Committee
- Helmut Walter – Assistant District Governor 2005-2007
- Victor Holman – Assistant District Governor 2007-2009
From the James City Club
- Dick Gillem – President 2006-2007
- Jodi Fisler – President 2007-2008
- Hal Campbell – Committee Chair
- And many committee members as well.
Although the idea of a new club in the Lightfoot area had been discussed individually by all three sponsoring groups, the first joint exploratory meeting was convened by Ted Kirby in District Governor Elect Jim Pierce’s McLaws Circle office on February 7, 2007. From there, committees from the Williamsburg and James City clubs were formed, with Jon Nystrom and Hal Campbell leading their respective clubs. The first informational meeting for prospective members was held at Colonial Heritage on April 18, 2007. The new club elected officers on June 13th and with an official charter date of July 4th, there has obviously been a lot of effort put forth by the sponsors and by the new club members alike. This may be a record for getting a new club off the ground.
Congratulations to all involved.
Jack Mustard, President (2007-2008)
Rotary Club of Williamsburg